Sunday, January 22, 2012

Blog for Choice Day 2012


This year, we want your thoughts in answering this question: What will you do to help elect pro-choice candidates in 2012?

Yup, it's that time of the year again. I actually caught this in time to write a decent post this year, but as it is, there isn't much for me to say on the subject. (And before I go any further, I'm going to direct the anti-choice trolls I'm sure are reading here, and here. And for those trolls who don't feel like clicking on the links, I will reiterate what both of those pages contain. I will not tolerate you coming onto my blog to harass and/or argue with me. If you make an anti-choice comment, calling me a baby-hating murderer, asking me how I can live with myself, or whatever, your comment will be deleted. Why? Because, for one thing, I have neither the time nor the inclination to sit and argue with you. Even if I did, I wouldn't. You're not worth my time. For another thing, my blog, my rules, and I have a very low tolerance for anti-choice morons. If you're just here to troll, save us all some time and go somewhere else.) Now, back to the post.

I've never much cared for politics. I wasn't old enough to vote in the last presidential election, nor did I particularly care. They were all politicians, and all politics were boring to me, not to mention it always seemed like voters had to choose between the lesser of two evils. Why would I want to get involved, when it didn't seem it would matter? I never really understood how any of it worked, and I didn't care to learn (what can I say? My social studies classes were boring as hell and listening to my family talk about politics wasn't any more interesting.) When I got my driver's license, I could have registered to vote, but I didn't. I didn't care.

This year, I actually plan to vote. That there is a huge step for me--and it's all I know I can do at this point. I do intend to try to find other ways to do something. The attacks on choice in this last year were terrifying, to say the least. (And boy was I on the money with last year's Blog for Choice post; I was right to be worried. We have an "abortion ban"--just another name for the Personhood Amendment that some lunatics tried to pass in Mississippi recently--trying to be pushed through right now here in Kansas. I'll be posting more information on that later, once I have a chance to compile links and write a post.) And to make matters even worse, it seems like the anti-choice politicians were so busy trying to take away choice that they weren't worrying about the very real, very important problems that need to be addressed to keep this country from ending up in an even deeper hole than we're already in.

I would try to encourage my family to vote for pro-choice candidates, but I know that would be a wasted effort. I do plan to talk to my friends, though; I know they'll listen. I'll find other places to encourage more pro-choice voters to step up. That won't be an easy task, considering that the closest thing to social networking I bother with is this blog and LiveJournal, and I live in a primarily anti-choice area. But I'm going to try. Women are not second class citizens (we aren't incubators or less important than a partially-formed clump of cells, either) and I refuse to let us be treated that way again.

1 comment:

  1. While it's futile to argue with a lunatic (many, if not most of the pro-misery crowd are Biblical literalists, and those people are masturbating with a sack of macadamias), it might be worth pointing out that legislating "It's human at the moment of fertilization!" grants civil rights to certain rare but very nasty cancers. Once in a great while, a zygote or very early embryo gets clobbered by a cosmic ray or just has a run of thermodynamic bad luck and turns malignant. Unlike the more common cancers, it still has the immunologic privilege of an embryo, which is extremely bad news for its host. Then there's the more common ectopic pregnancy, which also has zero chance of ever becoming a Pwecious Widdle Baaaybeeee. Worth inclusion in letters-to-the-editor, if anybody reads newspapers these days.

    ReplyDelete